Friday, September 4, 2009

The suffering

I'm sure there are some people who enjoy this book, I don't believe that it won a Pulitzer Prize just because Oprah recomends it. However this book is the closest thing to torture I can think of. The disconnected stories, overflow of characters to follow and then inside the small stories we jump from present to past and back so fast I cannot follow. For the most part this is not a book I would recommend, unless somebody really needed to see how good of a life they have. As for anything else I find this too unbearable to follow and have an extremely hard time to continue reading. Kevin was my hope, he had the chance to turn the story into a murder twist, yet he saved or tried to save the woman from drowing. Again this book is not something I would read on my own time, its complex set of characters and hard to follow timeline leave me hopeless for the ending.

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely sympathize with you about this read. It's just very... Uncompelling. Even while being written very well with great visualization of detail, the lack of a primary plot thread leaves the characters to simply exist in dystopia. Mind you, that doesn’t equate to a bad book. It just seems like exactly the type of book I would not like to read in my free time, as patronized as it is by Oprah’s book club. ‘Life is hard and then you learn something’-style reads are too slow and dreary. The disjunction of time between stories might have been more bearable if the number of characters the story focused on narrowed down a bit. If the reader isn't trying to learn someone new and figure out how they fit into the story, they can enjoy the ones they do know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I didn’t really like that book that much I did think it was well written. There are a lot more painful books out there to read. It was very disjointed and jumped around but I actually kinda liked how it was written. It was written differently and didn’t flow like most stories. What I really didn’t like was the constant theme of infidelity and the lack of excitement throughout the story. The style of the book actually allowed me to get past the things I didn’t like by letting me hope things would change from story to story. That’s why I was mad when some stories were so similar. The randomness of characters also didn’t really bother me. It gives you a sense of the world that the author created and lets them give you a different point of view that doesn’t necessarily have to fit in to the overall story.

    ReplyDelete