Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Graphic novel
Okay so first things first...some of these drawings in this book are horrible. That being said, the poems are very VERY good. The dark nature, death, and just the overall feel of the short stories/poems are amazing. I am starting to like Poe, but hte artists renditions of these stories are not that good. The latest story we read was, the fall of the house of usher, I still have no idea what the hell is going on. Two friends from long ago, one is going crazy, then there is a sister...then of course, BAM zombie.......WTF is with the zombie?!?!?! I was so lost on confused I tried to erase it from my mind. I know Poe is a great auther, but what the hell is a zombie doing in this story? Okay so overall good short stories, horrible artists depicting them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'll definitely agree with you on the quality for the most part. FotHoU had me lost completely. I couldn't tell what in the hell was going on in some portions, specifically around the time Usher's sister came back and the house collapsed. (The house collapsed? Why?) The Tell-Tale Heart was one of the only ones whose art really worked for me. I'm really glad I've had the chance to get to know Poe better, I doubt I'd get to read his work otherwise. I don't really step outside my preferred genres often... Poe seems to work with lots of interesting psychological elements and creepy atmosphere, something I think graphic novels could work with. There's some really great artists who could turn these adaptations into masterpieces.
ReplyDeleteLol. Well, she wasn't a zombie exactly. They entombed her alive, the friend just didn't realize it at the time. Then, she broke free of the tomb, was deranged from her imprisonment, and got revenge on her brother.
ReplyDeleteSince the house was "tied" to her brother, the last heir of the line of Usher, it fell down. Weird, gothic Poe story. The End.
It is VERY confusing. I had a lot of trouble understanding it when I read the original, let alone this chopped up crappy graphic version.